Vayk (previously Soylan, in 1956-90 Azizbekov, in 1995 was granted with the status of a town) is situated on the left bank of Arpa River, at a road distance of 135 km south of the capital Yerevan, with an elevation of 1256 meters above sea level.
The community includes the city of Vayk, Azatek, Por, Arin and Zeda villages.
The total area is 9,26.4 km 2 . As of the 2017 census, the population of the town is 5688. Around 32.2% of the urban population lives here.
In the 1980s, Vayk had industrial enterprises that are no longer functioning. Now, the production of mineral water, non-alcoholic beverages, and building materials are developed here.
Nowadays, the service sector in Vayk is under development. Yerevan-Artashat-Yeghegnadzor- Vayk-Meghri-Iran highways are passing through the city’s administrative territory. The city has comfortable hotels, cafes, restaurants, and everyday service facilities Vayk has 2 pre-schools, 3 public schools, musical and sports schools, colleges, and hospitals.
The town’s Saint Trdat Church (1996) provides spiritual service. The Vayk Bridge of the 17th century is located 1 km west of the town. Ivan Paskevich (Koms Erivanski) renovated the bridge in 1827, during his campaign against Qajar of Persia.