Vardenis (formerly known as Geghamabak, from IXth century Vasakashen, in XVI-XVII centuries -Voskeshen, from the beginning of XIX century to 1969 – Basargechar, in 1995 was granted with the status of a town) is located in the south-eastern part of the province in the valley of the Masrik River, the territory of the Masrik artesian basin, 170 km from Yerevan, 75 km from the regional center. The administrative territory of the community is 3761.2 hectares.
Օf January 1st, 2016 census, the population of the town is 12600, which is 18,2% of the total population of the region; concerning the population, it is the 24th city of the Republic. The main trend in the city's industry is the processing trade in which food production has the largest share. The leading branch of the economy is gold extraction.
There are 4 public schools, an art school, 2 sport, and 2 music schools, one college, etc.
The town is also home to the house-museum of philologist Hamazasp Hambardzumyan (1879-1965).
Vardenis is one of the oldest settlements in Armenia. The town and its vicinities are rich in cultural heritage, with 568 monuments recorded. The most interesting ones are the Makenats monastery, the basilica in Sotk, the chapels of Ayrk and Karchaghbyur, the tombs of 3rd-1st BC millennia, the Cyclopean masonry, and the medieval khachkars (cross-stones). Vardenis also has a Church of Surp Astvatsatsin (Holy Mother of God), built in 1905, where the Armenian historian Hovhannes Tsaretsi once worked. The church is surrounded by numerous khachkars dating back to the 14th and the 17th centuries.