Noyemberyan (until 1938 – Barana, in 1995 was granted with the status of a town) is located 185 km north-east from Yerevan, 55 km north-west from the regional center, on the eastern slope of the Gugarats Ridge.
The total area of the town is 3,6 km², the population of the town is 4800 (in 2017)
The former name was Barana, according to the historian Makar Barkhudaryants the word Barana derived from the Armenian word “Aparan” which means palace. In 1938 the city renamed Noyemberyan in honor to commemorate the entrance of the Red Army to Armenia which took place on November 29, 1920. The area of the modern city was part of Koghbapor which was a canton of Gugark ( the 13th province of Great Armenia).
Unfortunately, there is not much information about the origin of this city but it was a fact that 10th and 12th centuries it was part of Tashir-Dzoraget Kingdom. In 1236 started the Mongol invasions of the city. Later, 13-14th centuries the city was ruled by the Zakarids. The 13th-century Mshkavank Monastery and Surp Sarkis Church are proof that the settlement was formed in that century. In 1971, Noyemberyan got the status of an urban-type settlement.
D uring the Soviet period, the most developed industrial sector in Noyemberyan were food-processing mainly dairy products. In 2016, Noyemberyan was enlarged to including rural settlements of Baghanis, Barekamavan, Berdavan, Dovegh, Jujevan, Koti, Voskepar and Voskevan. Farming (animal breeding) and cultivation are developed in the city now. The town is also known for its peaches. Noyemberyan suffered from the Artsakh war.
The town has a pre-school, 2 public schools, music, art and sport schools, a culture house, a polyclinic, a hospital (the first hospital has been mentioned since VII century). In 2011, St. Anna Church was anointed.
This town is situated in a forest area which makes a beautiful place. There are lots of churches, castles, and cemeteries in the same area. The remains of a cyclopean fortress were found at the northern edge of the city which dates back to the 2nd millennium BC. The three famous castles are still standing. One of the oldest cyclopean castles is ” Mrakghats Areguni”, the other castle is “Tphi Dash” and ” Berdagh”.
At the south of the town are found the remains of the 13th-century Jukhtakeghtsi Church. But the other church from the same period Mshkavank Monastery is well-preserved.