Chambarak (founded in 1835-40 as Mikhaylovka by Russian immigrants, between 1920 and 1972 – Karmir Gyugh, between 1972 and 1995 – Krasnosyelsk, in 1995 was granted with the status of a town) is located in the north-eastern part of the province, 1 km from the eastern border of Armenia.
It is a mountainous settlement; the distance from Yerevan is 125 km, and 90 km from the regional center Gavar. Occupies an area of 9707.55 hectares.
As of the January 1st 2016 census, the population of the town is 5700. According to the population, it is the 36th city of the republic, about 8.2% of the urban population lives here. In 1991, most Russians emigrated from Chambarak.
About 90% of the natural forests in the province are in the Chambarak. The food industry is the leading branch of the economy.
Chambarak has 2 public, musical, art and sport schools, Armenak and Bagrat Boryan Brothers House-Museum.
Translated by Kristina Ghahramanyan