Аbovyan (until 1961 was known as Elar, city status – since 1963) is a city, located 18 km northeast of Yerevan, within the Kotayk region on the height of 1360 meters above the sea.
Total area of community is about 11.12 km² and the population is about 44,5 thousands people (2017). Here lives 32.2% of the city population of Kotaik. which is 17.5% of the total population of the region. Abovyan is the portal and city-satellite of Yerevan.
It is huge industrial center. Working industry is developed. There is famous “Kotayk” beer factory. There are also ferroconcrete structures, stone developing and other industrial centers. Yerevan-Sevan highway is neighboring to Abovyan.
The community has 9 public educational schools, art schools, community creative centre for children and teenagers, non-state university, state and non-state collages, boarding school, 5 libraries as well as stadium.
The National Tuberculosis Center, the Institute of Biological Microbes of the Armenian National Academy of Sciences, museum dedicated to the brotherhood and friendship between the Armenian and Russian nations are in Abovyan.
Abovyan has been populated area since ancient times. Stepanos Orbelian was the first Armenian historian who spoke about the city in him history (13th century).
There is memorial complex dedicated to the brotherhood and friendship between the Armenian and Russian nations and also it is placed Khachatur Abovyan’s bust.
Translate by Tatevik Sahakyan