Vedi (in 1995 was granted with the status of a town) is located on the right bank of the Vedi River, 48km south of the capital Yerevan. The town has been occasionally known as Verin Vedi (Upper Vedi), Beyuk Vedi, Boyuk Vedi, Vedi Mets(Great Vedi), Vete and Veti. Historian StephenOrbelian in his book “History of the Province of Syunik” first mentioned Vedi during the 13th century.
Vedi was renamed in 1946. There is a hypothesis that the name Vedi is derived from the Arabic word wadi, meaning valley. It may be incorporated into Armenian through the Persian language.
The total area is 3,5 km 2 . As of the 2016 census, the population of the town is 11600.
Some of the ancestors of the population migrated (in 1915-1920) from the provinces of Van, Shatakh, and Mush of Western Armenia (now known as Martuni, Sisian, and Yeghegnadzor regions). The main direction of the city’s industry is the processing industry, where productions of natural stone materials, electrical devices and equipment, and plastic products are of major importance.
The travertine stone processing plant is particularly noticeable with its production of tiles. Its products are sold both in the region and abroad. In the economic life of the city, agriculture also plays a major role, the main direction of which is the fieldwork (crop cultivation).
Vedi has 3 public, art and music schools.