Tsakhkadzor (until 1947, Darachichak) is located 6 km from the town of Hrazdan, 55 km north from Yerevan.
Territory – 1,8 km2
Population – 1,2 thousand
Tsakhkadzor is a mountainous resort and tourist town. It is known as a settlement, dating back to III-V centuries and was called Tsaghkunyats gorge (Varaznunik canton of Greater Armenia). It was the country house of the Arshakuni dynasty. In the Middle Ages, it was also called Kecharis or Kecharuk.
After the devastating earthquake in 1828, the monastery of Kecharis was partially emptied and restored in the 1830s.
In 1967, The USSR General Stadium was built in the city, which brought great recognition and fame.
In 1969 the ropeway was built on the slopes of Teghenis, which became the city’s business trip, making winter holidays more attractive and popular.
Since the independence of the Republic of Armenia, it has become an international center of tourism and sport, being able to organize sports and gymnastics at an altitude of 2000 meters and above. There are 36 hotels and resorts in the city, 10 of which are 5-star hotels.
There are 3 secondary schools, “Tsakhkadzor” Olympic Sports Complex, the Writers’ Union of Armenia, the Orbeli Brothers House Museum and so on. The famous church is Kecharis (11-13 centuries).