Hrazdan (until 1959 – Nerkin Akhta, in 1959 was granted with the status of a town) is located 45 km northeast from Yerevan on the Hrazdan river at a height 1600-1750 meters above sea level.
The total area of the town is 4,28 km². As of the 2017 census, the population of the town is 40800.
The villages of Akhta, Aghbyurak, Vanatur (formerly Atarbekyan), Makrakan, Jrarat and Kakavadzor are located within the territory of Hrazdan.
29.9% of the urban population lives here, which is 16.2% of the total population of the region. Hrazdan is considered to be the 4th city in the republic.
The ancestors of the city’s inhabitants came from Maku, Salmast, Sasun, Kars, Khoy and Mush during the Soviet times. Moreover, people from other regions of Armenia, neighboring states and the Diaspora came to live here.
The settlement was formerly a large industrial center; it had 12 large enterprises, including Hrazdan machine manufacturing factory, “Kecharq”, “Dvin” and cement factories, as well as Hrazdan HPP. Currently, Hrazdan has a Hydroelectric Power Plant, the “Hrazdan Cement” factories and former state-owned enterprises.
The manufacturing industry is developed in the city, where non-metallic and other products (in particular cement) are very important.
Hrazdan is located near Yerevan-Sevan highway. The roads leading to the resort towns Tsakhkadzor and Hankavan are going through the city. The Hrazdan river, that has Aghbyurak’s reservoir built on it, flows through the city.
The town has 14 preschool establishments and 13 public schools (1 special and 1 senior), 2 music schools, art and sport schools, 2 colleges, educational and youth creative centers, sport and cultural centers, private educational institutions, a dramatic theater, branch offices of Yerevan State University, patriotic museums, 10 libraries, 2 hospitals and 2 polyclinics.
Present-day Hrazdan is home to many churches dating back to the Middle Ages as well as the modern periods. Currently in ruins St Stepanos Monastic Complex of Aghbyurak is dating back to the 10th and 12th centuries. Many tombs (II-I millennium BC.) were found in the neighboring territories of Hrazdan.
Translated by Kristina Ghahramanyan