Agarak was founded in 1949 but it has been known as a city since 1995. It is considered the southern end of Armenia as it is located on the left bank of Araks river on the border with Iran, 9 km southwest of Meghri, and 385 km south-west of Yerevan.
Total area of the community is about 6 km², population – 4,25 thousand people (2017).
Leading branch of industry is mining; the most important is extraction of colorful metals. Its industry’s development is closely connected with copper-molybdenum mine complex.
Agarak is the southern “gate” of the Republic of Armenia. Armenian-Iranian border-customs are situated in Agarak city. It was a railway station on the demolished and non-functioning branch Yerevan-Nakhichevan-Horadiz.
Modern-day Agarak is located in the Arevik canton of the historic province of Syunik of Greater Armenia. The area was mentioned in the 12th and 13th centuries by historian Stepanos Orbelian as a rural settlement.
The church of Surp Amenaprkich (the Holy Saviour), dating back to the 17th century, is located in the nearby village of Kuris, north of Agarak. There are also kindergartens, public educational and art schools, cultural house, library, hospital and polyclinic.
Translate by Tatevik Sahakyan
REPUBLIC OF ARMENIA